Who doesn’t love a good leg burner?
I probably sweat most when I workout my legs. It never ceases to amaze me how simple body weight exercises focusing on leg muscles can be tiring and very effective. Seriously, I feel probably the same amount of strain in my legs when I do a toning workout as I do when I have a heavy weight workout. So I have created for you all a fast and effective leg toning session. The exercises I have chosen are straight forward and simple so that those of you just starting in your fitness journey don’t get overwhelmed by any sort of advanced movement. When I first started exercising, I had no idea what I was doing and so movements like these helped me create a good foundation to work up from!
And as always, be sure to get the OK from your doctor before performing any sort of activity that may cause injury or worsen any medical conditions!
Squat | 10 Reps
- Legs shoulder width apart, or slightly wider.
- Grounding yourself through your heels, sit your hips back.
- Do your best to keep your knees behind your toes with your chest up.
- Maintain a tight core to keep your back straight.
- Once you have reached a 90 degree angle in your knee, press through your heels to return to a standing position.
Lunge with Knee-Up | 10 Reps per Side
- With one leg in front, and the other in the back, bend both legs till your front foot is in the same position as a single leg squat, and your back knee is almost touching the ground.
- Pushing into the ground with your front heel, lift your body up.
- As your front leg reaches standing position, bring the back knee up till it is in line with your hip.
- Once finished bringing your knee up, place that leg to the back again and repeat the lunge.
Wide Squat Jack | 20 Reps
- Start in a wide squat, deep enough to get one hand to the ground while keeping your chest up.
- Jump up to bring your feet under your shoulders in a standing position, swinging your arms above your head.
- Again, jump, spreading your feet out to repeat the action of a wide squat, using your other arm to touch the ground.
Squat with Side Leg Raise | 10 Reps per Side
- Begin in a squat position.
- As you push through your heels, rising to a standing position, favour the use of one leg, raising the other up to the side.
- Be sure not to use momentum to raise your leg. Concentrate on letting your muscles do the work during the whole movement.
- Bring your leg back down, placing your foot back in its original position.
- Repeat the same steps on the other side.
Calf Raise | 10 Reps
- Legs shoulder width apart.
- Keeping your knees slightly bent, lift your weight up to the balls of your feet.
- Concentrate on contracting your calf muscles in order to lift your body up onto your toes.
- Slowly bring your heels back down to the ground.
Walk through all five exercises, take a 60 second break, and then repeat for another two sets. Don’t forget your break in between!
All done! Make sure to stretch afterwards and drink water throughout the session.
Remember to seek the advice of your doctor before exercising. If you begin to feel pain during any of these exercises, skip it and continue on to the next movement, and then seek medical attention.
Being fit is about being confident with the skin you are in! Don’t lose sight of that!